The United States has activated a large-scale emergency response following confirmed Ebola cases in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda, with officials moving quickly to contain the outbreak and prevent it from spreading internationally.
The Department of State said it established an interagency coordination cell in Washington within 24 hours of learning about the confirmed cases on May 15. US embassies in the DRC, Uganda, Rwanda, and South Sudan have also launched monitoring groups to track developments and communicate with American citizens in the region.
“Our first goal has been to ensure the safety of Americans abroad and the protection of the American homeland,” the Department said in a statement.
Travel Advisories and Bans
The response includes updated travel advisories and new restrictions issued in coordination with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. On May 18, the CDC issued a Title 42 order prohibiting travel to the United States for foreign nationals who have visited the DRC, Uganda, or South Sudan within the past 21 days.
US officials are also working with the Department of Homeland Security and the military on possible repatriation plans for Americans affected by the outbreak.
Within 48 hours, the State Department said it had mobilized an initial $13 million in emergency foreign assistance to support surveillance, laboratory testing, safe burials, screening measures, and clinical treatment efforts in the affected countries.
The US is also preparing additional funding for humanitarian aid and outbreak response. Officials noted that part of a previously announced $1.8 billion package for UN humanitarian programs includes $250 million earmarked for the DRC and Uganda.
“American leadership remains indispensable in confronting global health threats,” the Department said. “The United States will continue to protect American citizens, support affected communities, and marshal international action to contain this outbreak quickly, decisively, and effectively.”